SYNOPSIS OF TRANSPORT UNIT
The Transport Unit of the Federation is functioning under the control of The Deputy General Manager (Engineering). The Deputy General Manager (Engineering) is working under the control of the Joint Managing Director, TCMPF Limited, Ambattur, Chennai-600 098. Transport unit– One of the units functioning effectively in TCMPF Limited. Transport unit- Situated in three Metro Dairies - Madhavaram, Ambattur and Sholinganallur. There are 221 Nos. of employees working in Transport Unit. Road Milk Tankers- Different capacities of Modernised RMTs (First time stickering in India) like 9KL and 15KL – 53 Nos owned by the Federation. Road Milk Tankers- Milk Collection from the District unions Dairies, Chilling centers and Bulk Milk Coolers for Metro Dairies daily needs. The Average Milk Haulage Per Day through Federation Road Milk Tankers from District Union is 40% of Total needs to Chennai Metro Dairies. (Other 60% is collected through private contract RMTs) Puff Insulated Container vehicles- 23 Nos, Refrigerated puff insulated vehicles in different capacities – 11 Nos and mobile parlour vehicles- 3 Nos owned by federation. The Puff insulated container vehicles are used for milk sachet distribution in the Metro cities and Butter, SMP (Around 500 MT/ month) other milk products collecting from the District Unions for Metro dairies needs. The Refrigerated Puff insulated vehicles are used for distributing ice-cream , fermented products and Aavin products like sweets, chocolates etc.., to District Unions and the Metro cities Mobile Parlour vehicle- Aavin products sale on the wheels.
THE FUNCTIONAL ASPECTS OF THE TRANSPORT UNIT
- Transporting milk to the Metro Dairies at Madhavaram, Ambattur and Sholinganallur from various Dairies and Chilling Centers of the District Unions situated in various Districts as per their requirement.
- Providing Milk vans for the transportation of Butter, SMP , High Fat milk etc. to Metro Dairies as per requirement.
- Providing Lorry to three Metro dairies, Marketing Unit, H.O. J.M.D. Office, Product Dairy For their needs like Machinery Transferring, Tubs, Ammonia Cylinder, etc.
- Maintenance of Light vehicles/Light Commercial vehicles/Auto Rickshaw / Mobile Parlour van etc. through the authorized Service Dealers and MVMD approved Workshops (Joint Managing Director’s Unit office vehicles alone).
- Offering Technical opinions to the repairs of all Head Office Light vehicles / Auto rickshaw / Two Wheeler and assist the Head Office in case of all Transport activities.
THE TECHNICAL WING OF THE TRANSPORT UNIT IS ATTENDING THE FOLLOWING WORKS
- Maintenance of Route Tankers and deployment in the scheduled routes in time for transportation of milk from Dairies, Chilling Centers and BMC Centers of District Unions.
- Regular maintenance and attending break downs round the clock.
- General and Preventive Maintenance works including FC repairs, Body works, servicing and Lubrication of all Tankers, Puff Insulation, Refrigeration vehicles and Light Vehicles.
- Round the clock operation of tankers as per schedule for milk collection.
- Reconditioning of certain Unit assemblies, and attending accident repairs and body repairs etc.
- Effective utilization of the entire transport system for optimum performance and transportation of milk to Chennai Dairies as an essential input for city supply in time.
THE ADMINISTRATIVE WING OF TRANSPORT UNIT IS ATTENDING THE FOLLOWING WORKS
- Effective deployment and efficient operation of the tankers for best results.
- All personal matters such as leave sanction, increment granting, Pay drawn and disbursement etc.
- Timely action for the purchase of spares and components for repairs and maintenance of Tankers.
- Timely action for payment of Vehicle Tax, FC fees, renewal of permits and other statutory payment to ensure the road worthiness of all tankers/vehicles of the Federation.
- Arranging Insurance coverage for vehicles, Milk in Transit, Building, Cash in Transit etc.
- Procurement and maintenance of Automobile spares with adequate stocks.
- Control and deployment of crews for optimum Fleet operation and ensure uninterrupted supply of milk to the Metro Dairies
- Disposal of condemned vehicles, Tyres and other items through Tender/Auction.
- Liason work with Factory Inspector, Inspector of Labour, Transport Authorities MVMD and other Government undertakings.
- To attend all legal cases with DCL/ACL, Labour Courts, High Court and accident cases filed by Workers/Employees.
- Offering Technical guidance and advice to the District Unions in the matter of transportation system of the District Unions.
- Taking suitable disciplinary action against the erring employees.
- Exercising Administrative, Financial and Inventory control over the entire transport system of the Federation to ensure viability and profitability of the Transport Unit.
OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE
For the operation and maintenance of the said Fleet strength the Transport Unit maintains three workshops at Madhavaram Milk Colony, Ambattur and Sholinganallur. The Madhavaram Workshop is functioning as Centralized Unit for the entire Transport system of the Federation.